Environmental education at regular schools and in youth and adult education
1 Federal University of Paraná, Matinhos, BRAZIL* Corresponding Author
Eurasian Journal of Science and Environmental Education, 3(2), December 2023, 43-49, https://doi.org/10.30935/ejsee/13270
Published Online: 13 May 2023, Published: 01 July 2023
OPEN ACCESS 57 Views 27 Downloads
This study aimed to comparatively investigate the concepts of environmental education (EE) related to elementary school students enrolled in regular schools and in youth and adult education (YAE) in Brazil. A qualitative study was conducted using unstructured interviews. These interviews were carried out with twenty two students of YAE and the regular elementary school with themes formed about relation between human being and nature, conceptions about labor and conceptions of EE. We used the technique of content analysis and Toulmin’s argument pattern to analyze the data. The theoretical basis our study was the relation between the human being and labor. We considered the perspective of the ontological labor’s in the transformation of nature by the human being, and the subsequent transformation of the human being by nature, forming a cyclic process. Our results show that the students’ conceptions are related to a separation of the human being and nature, as well as their ideas about conservation and preservation of nature, recognizing their impacts on the environment. We did not verify any knowledge involving a more complex and critical comprehension about the relation between human beings and nature.This research suggests that the development and application of EE projects, should consider how subjects comprehend the relation between society and nature, leading to interesting outcomes.
Nogueira, C., & de Oliveira, E. T. (2023). Environmental education at regular schools and in youth and adult education. Eurasian Journal of Science and Environmental Education, 3(2), 43-49. https://doi.org/10.30935/ejsee/13270
- Ardoin, N. M., Clark, C., & Kelsey, E. (2013). An exploration of future trends in environmental education research. Environmental Education Research, 19(4), 499-520. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504622.2012.709823
- Azevedo, F. S., Martalock, P. L., & Keser, T. (2015). The discourse of design-based science classroom activities. Cultural Studies of Science Education, 10, 285-315.https://doi.org/10.1007/s11422-013-9540-5
- Bardin, L. (2011). Análise de conteúdo [Content analysis]. Edition 70.
- Barreto, L. M., & Cunha, J. S. (2016). Concepções de meio ambiente e educação ambiental por alunos do ensino fundamental em Cruz das Almas (BA): Um estudo de caso [Environmental conceptions and environmental education by elementary school students in Cruz das Almas (BA): A case study]. Revista Brasileira de Educação Ambiental [Brazilian Journal of Environmental Education], 11(1), 315-326. https://doi.org/10.34024/revbea.2016.v11.1905
- Colombo, P. J. D., Lourenço, A. B., Sasseron, L. H., & de Carvalho, A. M. P. (2016). Ensino de física nos anos iniciais: Análise da argumentação na resolução de uma “atividade de conhecimento físico” [Teaching physics in the early years: Analysis of the argumentation in the resolution of a “physical knowledge activity”]. Investigações em Ensino De Ciências [Investigations in Science Teaching], 17(2), 489-507.
- Costa, C. A., & Loureiro, C. F. B. (2017). Interdisciplinarity in Paulo Freire: Political-pedagogical approximations for critical environmental education. Revista Katálysis [Katalysis Magazine], 20(1), 111-121. https://doi.org/10.1590/1414-49802017.00100013
- Flick, U. (2012). How many qualitative interviews is enough. http://eprints.ncrm.ac.uk/2273/4/how_many_interviews.pdf
- Freitas, R. C. M., Nélsis, C. M., & Nunes, L. S. (2012). Marxist criticism of (un)sustainable development. Revista Katálysis [Katalysis Magazine], 15(1), 41-51. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1414-49802012000100004
- Fusch, P. I., & Ness, L. R. (2015). Are we there yet? Data saturation in qualitative research. The Qualitative Report, 20(9), 1408-1416. https://doi.org/10.46743/2160-3715/2015.2281
- Guimarães, M. (2013). Por uma educação ambiental critica na sociedade atual [For a critical environmental education in today’s society]. Revista Margens Interdisciplinar [Interdisciplinary Margins Magazine], 7(9), 11-22. https://doi.org/10.18542/rmi.v7i9.2767
- Kopnina, H. (2012). Education for sustainable development (ESD): The turn away from ‘environment’ in environmental education? Environmental Education Research, 18(5), 699-717. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504622.2012.658028
- Kopnina, H. (2018). Teaching sustainable development goals in the Netherlands: A critical approach. Environmental Education Research, 24(9), 1268-1283.https://doi.org/10.1080/13504622.2017.1303819
- Layrargues, P. P. (2015). O cinismo da reciclagem: O significado ideológico da reciclagem da lata de alumínio e suas implicações para a educação ambiental [The cynicism of recycling: The ideological meaning of aluminum can recycling and its implications for environmental education]. In C. F. B. Loureiro, P. P. Layrargues, & R. S. Castro (Eds.), Educação ambiental: Repensando o espaço da cidadania [Environmental education: Rethinking the space of citizenship]. Cortez.
- Leonard, A. (2011). The story of stuff: The impact of overconsumption on the planet, our communities, and our health--And how we can make it better. Free Press.
- Liefländer, A. K., Fröhlich, G., Bogner, F. X., & Schultz, P. W. (2013). Promoting connectedness with nature through environmental education. Environmental Education Research, 19(3), 370-384. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504622.2012.697545
- Loureiro, C. F. B. (2012). Trajetórias e fundamentos da educação ambiental [Trajectories and fundamentals of environmental education]. Cortez.
- Neuendorf, K. A. (2017). The content analysis guidebook. SAGE. https://doi.org/10.4135/9781071802878
- Nogueira, C. (2018). Education for sustainable development and conceptions of environmental education in Brazil: Possible approaches. Journal of Education for Sustainable Development, 12(1), 47-58. https://doi.org/10.1177/0973408218773269
- Nogueira, C. (2019). Contradictions in the concept of sustainable development: An analysis in social, economic, and political contexts. Environmental Development, 30, 129-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envdev.2019.04.004
- Nogueira, C. (2023). Contribuições para a educação ambiental crítica [Contributions to critical environmental education]. Revista Brasileira de Educação Ambiental [Brazilian Journal of Environmental Education], 18(3), 156-171. https://doi.org/10.34024/revbea.2023.v18.14160
- Prodanov, C. C., & Freitas, E. C. (2013). Metodologia do trabalho científico: Métodos e técnicas da pesquisa e do trabalho acadêmico [Methodology of scientific work: Methods and techniques of research and academic work]. Feevale.
- Sasseron, L. H., & Carvalho, A. M. P. (2011a). An analysis of theoretical frameworks about argument structure for argumentation studies in science education. Ensaio Pesquisa em Educação em Ciências [Essay Research in Science Education], 13(3), 243-262. https://doi.org/10.1590/1983-21172011133243
- Sasseron, L. H., & Carvalho, A. M. P. (2011b). Building up argumentation in classroom: Cyclic argumentation, indicators of scientific literacy and Toulmin argument pattern. Ciência & Educação [Science & Education], 17(1), 97-114.
- Saviani, D. (2013). Historical-critical pedagogy, class struggle and school education. Germinal: Marxismo e Educação em Debate [Germinal: Marxism and Education in Debate], 5(2), 25-46. https://doi.org/10.9771/gmed.v5i2.9697
- Stahelin, N., Accioly, I., & Sánchez, C. (2015) The promise and peril of the state in neoliberal times: Implications for the critical environmental education movement in Brazil. Environmental Education Research, 21(3), 433-446. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504622.2014.994167
- Toulmin, S. E. (2022). Os usos do argumento [The uses of argument]. WMF Martins Fontes.
- Trein, E. S. (2018). An argument for vindicating a Marxist ontology in environmental education research. Environmental Education Research, 24(10), 1464-1475. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504622.2018.1545153
- UNDP. (2011). Waste management. United Nations Development Program. https://www.undp.org/content/dam/undp/library/corporate/fast-facts/english/FF-Waste-Management.pdf
- Venturieri, B., & Santana, A. (2016). Concepções sobre meio ambiente de alunos do ensino fundamental em Belém-PA: Estudo de caso com a E.E.E.F.M. Prof. Gomes Moreira Junior [Conceptions about the environment of elementary school students in Belém-PA: A case study with E.E.E.F.M. Prof. Gomes Moreira Jr]. Revista Brasileira de Educação Ambiental [Brazilian Journal of Environmental Education], 11(1), 234-245. https://doi.org/10.34024/revbea.2016.v11.2126
- Zsóka, Á., Szerényi, Z. M., Széchy, A., & Kocsis, T. (2012). Greening due to environmental education? Environmental knowledge, attitudes, consumer behavior and everyday pro-environmental activities of Hungarian high school and university students. Journal of Cleaner Production, 48, 126-138. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2012.11.030